12 Sep 2012
Are you thinking about renovating? Are you worried about the disruption it might cause in your life?
The good news is that renovating doesn’t have to be a nightmare. Many families have renovated their homes with quite minimal stress to the bank balance (and their sanity) – however preparation is the key and it’s important that the hard work is put in before you pack a single box, to ensure that you get the most from your labours.
- A realistic plan is one of the most important things you can put together at stage one. This needs to include a schedule of every single task that needs to be undertaken. Don’t forget to take into consideration the comfort of your family – if a particular room needs more time – then don’t forget to allot spare rooms to live in until the renovation is complete.
- Don’t make important decisions mid-renovation. Choose all of your colours, fittings and equipment before you begin. There’s nothing worse than a prolonged renovation because you have changed your mind or were unprepared for out-of-stock fittings. This only serves to lengthen the process and makes the project considerably more expensive.
- Don’t be afraid to seek professional help. Renovation contractors are happy to give you tips – even if you are completing the job yourself. Again, you run the risk of spending more if you don’t do it right the first time.
- Your neighbours can be your greatest ally if treated correctly. Let them know of your renovation plans to avoid noise-disputes. Invite them over for a mid-renovation BBQ and show them the progress. There is a better chance that they will be cooperative if you’re positive from the outset.
- Keep an eye on the time! Are you planning on starting a job, or having a holiday in the middle of renovations or remodelling? Sometimes it’s unavoidable – but any major life-changes should be kept on hold until after the job is done.
- Give the kids a break. If it’s a prolonged remodelling job, dust and rubble can cause major health hazards – especially to the little ones, and short breaks away with friends or family can give you all a break from living together in such a stressful environment.
Well that’s all of the tips we have for today – have you “survived” a major renovation project? What are your tips? Leave a comment and share your stories.