23 Nov 2012
With storm season now upon us, the State Emergency Services have asked all real estate owners and renters in and around Everton Park to be prepared! There are a few simple steps you can take, as an Everton Park resident, to make sure you and your home are ready for any serious bouts of wild weather.
- Make sure your house is adequately insured. If you’re in doubt as to exactly what you’re covered for, double check!
- Check your roof and repair any cracks or damaged tiles.
- Clean out gutters and downpipes.
- Secure any loose objects outside that could potentially be tossed around to cause damage in violent winds.
- Create an emergency plan including emergency contact numbers, escape routes and caring for your pets.
- Create an emergency kit containing all the things you may need if your essential services, power and water supply remain cut off for several days. This may include a radio and torch with spare batteries, a charged mobile phone with car charger, first aid kit, medications and toiletries, a 3 day supply of sealed water bottles and canned food, and a 3 day supply of pet food.
For more information and preparation checklists please visit the Brisbane City Council – Disaster Preparation Page. By giving your home a general tidy up, checking your insurance policy and gathering a few items together in preparation, you will be going a long way to avoiding potential danger and future headaches.